Friday, August 14

Roadtrippin': Day 1

Greenfield, NH to Cooperstown, NY
Miles traveled: 231 miles
Hills traveled over: 150,000

First thing you'll notice is that I'm a little behind on my posts. As I write this, I'm in the middle of day three's journey. It turns out that Avon, NY is the first place I've seen so far with advertised free wi-fi (minus a weak signal in downtown Cooperstown). And before I could write day 2, my battery died. So, perhaps tonight I'll get the time to upload my videos and post about day 2.

Day one was a great day. I left a little later than I had hoped from home due to some last minute details, but upon setting off, it felt great to be on the open road. The drive through New Hampshire was a tour through familiar territory. It was bittersweet that it was the last time my car would carve down New Hampshire's winding forest roads.

The jaunt across Vermont was cool and cloudy - perfect for taking pictures. Route 9 crosses through some incredible views. The dark green mountains, crystal lakes, and pristine scenery quickly filled my camera's memory stick. If you have a motorcycle or sports car, I strongly recommend making Route 9 a day trip.

New York brought more hills but less trees. Instead, fertile plains and farmlands replaced the Vermont's abundance of trees. The day concluded in Cooperstown, New York. If you're a baseball fan, you know exactly what I mean. For those of you who are less interested in the sport, Cooperstown is home of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and is the location where baseball (as we know it today) was "invented". Baseball season is year-round in this town! Shops, signs, and sights line Main Street as baseball fans from around the country make the trek to pay respects to their personal heroes.

I spent the night at the Glimmerglass State Park which rests on the beautiful Lake Otswego on the border of Cooperstown, and that was the day.

Pictures and a video to follow shortly!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so beautiful. I want to see the pictures! When do you get in to Provo? I'm excited to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, you mean MY battery died!!! Post pics, ahora.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have driven that twice and i love the ride through VT and NY until you are dumped on the freeway. It makes me want to do it again.

    ReplyDelete