Monday, July 6

The mysterious oil leak has been solved!

Well, at least one part of it. After a crawl under the engine, it seems that the oil pan has rusted through in one part, allowing collected oil to seep through and drip onto the pavement. It explains the lack of burning oil - it's below the whole engine.

Of course, I still think there is another leak (or a few) mainly due to the fact that a car sitting three years doesn't do wonders to gaskets and seals. But this was the major leak and I'm glad that I found it and it's quite easy to replace. I'll be making a new gasket for it, as well as replacing the drain plug gasket to ensure that everything is tight down there. Then I'll hunt for the next one.

Just ordered the parts on RockAuto.com

New oil pan + new oil pan gasket + shipping
Total repair cost: $62.00

No comments:

Post a Comment