Tuesday, June 30

Update: eBay Scam

Well, it has been a while since I've brought up the scam in which I have become involved. As you remember, I purchased a used speedometer cable in mid-May from a seller. As time passed, no product was received. I filed a PayPal dispute two weeks ago, but decided to escalate that dispute to a claim.

Upon researching the seller's feedback history, it appears that I was not alone in the scam. Seven other MR2 owners purchased used parts in the last month and have yet to receive them. They are also seeking reimbursement.

Of course, this only strengthens my case, but exposes a few places where I could have been better prepared.

Here are some tips if you plan on making large purchases on eBay or eBayMotors:
  1. Always pay with your credit card!
  2. Consider using PayPal, especially if the auction is covered under their Buyer's Protection guarantee. Beware, not all auctions carry this guarantee.
  3. Record all communications between you and the seller. Do not delete emails, as this will help strengthen your case if you need to make a claim against a fraudulent seller. Take a screenshot of the original auction page. If the seller deletes it, you will still have a record of the terms of service.
  4. Do not agree to any additional fees or charges outside of those made clear in the auction's details. Winning an auction enters both you and the seller into a legally binding contract. You need to fulfill your responsibilities and so does the seller. Any additional fees must be included in the original auction's details (check the fine print as well). If the seller requires previously unmentioned additional fees to be paid before shipping the item, file a PayPal or eBay dispute, as he is in breach of contract.
  5. Strongly consider NOT ordering "shipping insurance" if you doubt the seller's integrity. This doesn't protect you, it only protects the seller, the one who orders the insurance. If your item is broken in transit, the seller is the one who is refunded the value of the item. It is dependant on his good-will to refund your purchasing amount to you. If he's a scammer, he just made "x" dollars from you, plus another "x' dollars on the insurance you purchased.
Thankfully, I was smart about four out of five of the above listed tips. I made the mistake of breaking tip #3, and provided him with an extra $3 for a signature upon delivery option for my item, as I had to change my listed shipping address after paying him through PayPal. That is $3 I will not receive as a refund, as it is a seperate charge on my account, and I would have to file a seperate dispute and claim through PayPal.

So, like the Latin used to say, Caveat emptor - "Let the buyer beware."

No comments:

Post a Comment